Tuesday 1 January 2013

HAPPY NEW YEAR

I hope you celebrated as much as I did (or maybe not as much - I definitely felt the consequences this morning). We have SO much to look forward to this year in terms of music. It's time to update your iPod and fill it with all the superb bands that are really gonna make it big this year.
With institutions like NME and the BBC predicting their sounds of 2013, I thought I'd do my own...

Lauren's Top 10 Ones to Watch in 2013!

  • 1. Coming in at no.1 is, with no surprise, PEACE. 2013 is going to be the year that Peace dominate. The 13th of this month will see the release of their new single 'Wraith.' Their psychedelic mix of sounds that logic says shouldn't sound right together makes them such an interesting band. With their vintage mix 'n' match style, uber cool personality, fantastic live presence and phenomenal tunes, these Brummie rock stars have got everything covered.


  • 2. It's again no surprise that at no.2 are the Brummie boys that make up Swim Deep. Their newest single, 'The Sea' was aired on Huw Stephens' show recently, and oh my god it's good ... like really really good. Their music takes me out of boring Birmingham and puts me on a sunny beach, dancing like a lunatic to their trippy tunes. Their debut album will be released later this year; I have no doubt at all that it will be unbelievably amazing.





  • 3. Palma Violets are inevitably going to gain even more positive attention this year. They're a new band and yet they've made the front cover of NME twice! They've been labelled as the next 'Libertines.' I just hope that they don't get big headed or complacent, or even crumble under the pressure. I love their music, and if they stay true to themselves they'll be an awful lot more people lovin' their stuff.




  • 4. Tame Impala have admittedly been around for a while, but it's clear that after their latest album 'Lonerism,' which topped a load of album of the year type charts, that they're getting the recognition that they deserve. The Aussie's will be entering 2013 with a huge amount of new fans. I reckon they'll be all over the festival scene, wowing everyone with their 70's hippe style tracks. I feel like I'm in one of Noel Fielding's dreams when I listen to them. 




  • 5. 2013 will see the release of Bastille's highly anticipated debut album. They're fantastic live, and their simple yet effective indie-pop tracks are so great. They've got a pretty strong set of fans already, but I've got no doubt that as soon as that album is released, they'll become everyone's new favourite band. 



  • 6. It's been announced that Tom Odell has won the highly respected Brits Critic's Choice Award. I've actually seen Tom live without realising! He was one of the support acts for Jake Bugg a few weeks ago. He's got a beautifully pure voice and he's a great musician - a deserved winner! If the previous winners are anything to go by (e.g Florence and Adele), Mr Odell will soon be a household name.



  • 7. Chvrches were placed at no.5 on the BBC sound of 2013. They're like a reeeeeally slowed down and calmer version of Crystal Castles. I love Lauren's (great name) voice; it's pure and girly and sounds great in contrast to the electro sounds. You'll hear a lot about this Scottish trio this year, I'm sure.




  • 8. If Morrissey used Dubstep, he'd sound a lot like King Krule. He's only 18, but he's really talented. It's    really to hard to pigeon hole him into a specific genre - he's totally original. There's a bluesy type rhythm to his darker Jamie T-esqye style of singing with occasional dubstep techniques - wow.



  • 9. TOY are like a colourful Joy Division. They're not revolutionary in terms of genre, but you can't deny their talent. Their music just seems to draw me in and keep me in a trance like state. They remind me an an awful lot of The Horrors - in a good way.





  • 10. Last, but my no means least is Splashh. I saw them support Spector earlier this year, and they were superb. It's really rare to get a support band that really grab your attention and don't make you wish that their set will hurry up and end. It's like being transported back to the 90s with their grungy and distorted sounds. They're really really cool.





Hope you enjoyed! x

No comments:

Post a Comment