Tuesday 27 November 2012

Interview: The Ghosts



Counteract were lucky enough to catch up with The Ghosts, minus Ian Palmer (drums), after their show at one of Birmingham’s more intimate venues, The End. They concluded their first UK tour in style as infectious synth pop riffs flew from the keys and driving dance beats were dropped left right and centre. Birmingham definitely enjoyed the show. The Ghosts enjoyed themselves too, “apart from the fact I had smoke in my eyes; I couldn’t see a thing,” explained Alex Starling; front man of The Ghosts. Don’t worry Alex, we didn’t notice.
“We’re like ABBA” was the response I got from Alex Starling when I asked the band how they’d come together. He jokily implied the coupled relationship between himself and Dan Whiffin (guitar), and between Alex Sharman and Rayna Ferner (both on keys). Dan however would definitely be victorious in a battle of the facial hair against Benny Anderson with his magnificent horseshoe! On a serious note, Alex Starling explained how the band formed; “Ian was recommended to me by Charlatan’s drummer, Jon Brookes… Me and Dan have been friends for a while and we’ve been in bands together in the past.” It’s obvious that the talented musicians that make up The Ghosts have all had past experiences in the industry as their performance was exceptionally professional.
So how did this superb five piece spend their last day of their tour? “We spent the day at Q studios and did an acoustic session for them, and then we went to Kerrang! studios where we met Duff McKagan (Guns and Roses)” Alex starling told me.  He dedicated a song to Duff on request during their set as he liked their “rockier stuff.” If legendary icons such as The Charlatans’ drummer and now Guns and Roses’ bassist like their stuff, then The Ghosts have got to be doing something right!
It turns out it’s not the band’s first time in Birmingham as this gig was somewhat of a homecoming. Starling informed me that Ian is a local Birmingham guy! It just so happens that it’s not the first time for Alex Starling either; “I spent some time in the Midlands when I was younger.” He joked that he’d “moved around a lot through school life because [he] was naughty.” He told me how his Irish family travelled around a lot (although not actually Irish travellers) and he ended up at a school in Wolverhampton.
Throughout the summer, The Ghosts have played gigs and festivals all over the place, including the infamous Chazzstock, or as Reyna misquoted, “Chavstock.” “I’d love to go to a festival called Chavstock” she laughed. Chazzstock was held in Wolverhampton in homage of the late Charlie Haddon of Ou Est Le Swimming Pool who tragically committed suicide back in 2010. Ou Est Le Swimming Pool was in fact Alex Starling’s old band! Among Alex Starling and The Ghosts, other bands including Tribes, The Horrors and The Vaccines played tribute to their late friend at what turned out to be a really special event.
Prior to the interview, Jack Bissel, the organiser of Chazzstock, told me to ask Alex Starling how he had “got done by [Jack] with a super-soaker and a Krispy Kreme doughnut.” I was extremely intrigued – I had to get to the bottom of this! It’s clear that Jack Bissel and Alex Starling have got an ongoing love hate relationship, full of friendly banter. Alex told me his side of the story; “I pelted Jack with 12 Krispy Kreme doughnuts while he was fast asleep.” “So an assorted dozen then” Alex Sharman interrupted. “He’s so stupid that he didn’t even realise.”  This donut war happened between the two whilst on tour with Ou Est Le Swimming pool. Jack tried to get revenge, but according to Alex his doughnut throwing skills weren’t up to scratch. I was even treated to an impression of Jack as Alex did a limp throwing action. “He’s a lovely guy, but as some people might say, he throws like a girl.” When you thought this conversation couldn’t get any weirder, Jack also tried to get Alex with a “supersoaker” or as Alex called it, “a tiny water pistol.” “I tipped one glass of water over him and he was more soaked than I was.”
I wanted to know if there had been any similarly crazy antics on The Ghosts’ tour. “I had a bath last night that was pretty wild” Reyna told me. “Well it was in Vodka” joked Alex Starling. Dan then showed me a video of Alex riding around the Kerrang! studios earlier that day on a miniature bicycle. Erm, rock on Alex?!
What can we expect from the Ghosts next?  Alex Starling informed me that “the next album is ready and written and we’ll hopefully be releasing something in the New Year. We’ll be having some time off too because Alex (Sharman) is having a baby!” After the success of their debut album, ‘The End’ I can’t wait to see what the next album brings.
The Ghosts are such an exciting new band. Their album showcases heartfelt lyrics about love and loss with a surprisingly upbeat backing track complete with new and electrifying sounds. These talented musicians make for a superb live band. I wish them all the very best in the release of their next album and the best of luck to soon-to-be dad, Alex Sharman.
Take a look at the published version in Counteract Magazine


No comments:

Post a Comment